Today was the first day of Open Studio at the Digital Art Academy. Time to give my shiny new brushes a try. I dubbed them Eastern Water in deference to sumi-e style paintings. I wish I could tell you that I successfully culled them, but strangely the numbers increased to a colossal number, 42, which has cult status and is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.
Armed with the answer to everything, I began to paint the assignment, cherry blossoms. My first attempt was rather stiff, as was my second, third, fourth and fifth. Then I had an “aha” moment. I noticed the weeping cherry in full bloom outside my window. Duh, it is much easier to paint when you have the real thing as your reference. I cut a branch and brought it inside.
Have you ever tried to put weeping cherry in a vase. I’m sure florist know how to do it, but my little weepy branch kept falling out. I finally propped it and vase in a vertical position, which meant the flowers were upside down. I found a workaround. I painted a little; extracted the branch from the vase and observed the flowers in their normal position, and then returned them to the vertical. Hey, the answer to everything is pretty handy.
Alpha channels are pretty handy in Painter, too. Alpha channels are defined as a storage device for selections, but I think of them as super selectors. To start this painting, I first created an alpha channel. My intent is not to make a tutorial about this painting, but simply show the workflow through a series of screen shots. This is the alpha channel after painting it with short vertical strokes. When a selection is created the black areas will be protected and the lighter areas are available for paint, which is just the opposite of a layer mask.
I added a watercolor layer. Using my Textured Fill Wet variant I lightly and softly identified the areas where the blossoms would be.
Added an additional watercolor layer; I work with a lot of layers. I used my Chrysanthemum Sharp variant to give some form to the flowers. I inadvertently continued painting on this layer with Iris Blade, but I wanted to be on another layer. I deleted what I could.
On the third watercolor layer I used Iris Blade to give a soft overlay that looks like a petal.
The center of the flowers and the branch was painted on layers 4, 5, and 6. I used several brushes, Chrysanthemum Sharp, Bamboo Texture Sharp, Thistle, and Plum Anther.
Layers 7 to 10 finished the details of the painting, buds and the first early leaves just barely showing. At this point I did an Iterative Save and then dropped all layers.
I didn’t like the composition and added some canvas to the left and bottom of the image. Also added my name in Chinese characters, at least I think that is what it is. I got it from one of those sites that claims to write your name in Chinese; it could be profanity for all I know.
When I increased the size of the canvas, the alpha channel did not have any texture in the extra area. I created a new alpha channel that was the correct size and with the same style texture. I loaded the selection from this channel and in two layers painted the background. I reduced the opacity of the layers for the finished piece, but in this screen shot I left the background at 100% opacity so you can see the texture.
I added a frame to finish the work. I hope you enjoyed this quick look at the workflow of this painting.
Here is the zip file of the Eastern Water Brushes. They are compatible with Painter IX, X, and 11, thanks to Brush Master David Gell, who has created a script to automatically adjust the brushes for backward compatibility. The brushes can be installed using the Studio Chris Brush Manager.
Zip file will be added later; I can’t figure out how to add it now.